Cooperative Extension was established in Placer and Nevada Counties in 1917. Our mission is to help all segments of the community benefit from the scientific advances in our nation's land grant universities, particularly in the areas of agriculture, family and consumer sciences, and youth development. Use the links above to learn more about the programs available through UCCE Placer Nevada.
Resources to help families prepare for and recover from a wildfire.
What's in Season?
UCCE Placer/Nevada has a variety of resources to help you enjoy the fall season.
From the web:
- "What's in Season" A pocket guide for seasonal produce.
- Hoshigaki The Art of Japanese Hand-Dried Persimmons
- Food Safety Newsletter
Stop by the office to pick up:
- Free Recipe cards for local grown fruits and vegetables
- The California Persimmon cookbook $4.00
- Complete Guide to Home Canning $10.00
- The Grassfed Gourmet cookbook $16.00
Persimmons are in the markets from late September through December. They are usually picked when mature and allowed to ripen, although will continue to ripen after they are picked from the tree.
The California Persimmon cookbook is available for purchase through the UCCE Placer/Nevada Office. It contains information on storing persimmons and a wealth of recipes. The books can be purchased at our office with cash or check.